Saturday, March 13, 2010

VPW March-April - Stacked

Two entries for 'stacked' and the
beginning of the week-end assignment.
Nothing special, just more beach time.


I found the above at the start of a morning walk
along the beach.  Brrr!  Cold (about 65 degrees) and a
gentle breeze from the west.
But knowing there was an assignment, I took time to
get a picture of these chairs stacked up to keep the
wind from blowing them away.


As the journey continued and the weather warmed there
was a nice furniture arrangement and a beautiful table was included.
This is also my first attempt with Topaz Adjust and it gives
me a feeling of 'this isn't my shot".
I started this walk to learn about using my camera and
how to make improvements using Elements 8.

Not sure this can be called photography because
the software made most of this shot.

To thy own self be true!
Either be a photo taker or an artist!

10 comments:

  1. Your beach is certainly a potent source of inspiration! I like the top photo better--I think it's the color of the chairs and the pail, and well as the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you the CHAIRMAN of, John but I love the bottom one heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cold! well I guess it depends of what you compare it with ;-) Nice colorful chairs and I would not mind sitting in one on the last photo

    christina, Sweden

    Ps someone took a lot of photos from INSIDE!! while I was skating and I wont show you the others ;-) thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of these images...the top one for the blue tones and simplistic composition and the second one for the outstanding details...who says you have to be a photographer or an artist....I think you are both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the top one, great colours and feeling of the cold one can see with the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can certainly be both, the artist and the photographer. That is what I am. I just have to realize when to leave a shot "as is" and not use it with my artistic license. Some pictures deserve to be natural, others need a little help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the top photo, so simple yet says so much. I am always looking for images like this when walking along the beach. Regarding the question of being an artist or photographer, I feel we just have to enjoy what we are doing. Some photos are perfect to experiement with, others can stand on their own without help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't consider art and photography to be mutually exclusive, but I think I understand what you mean. Experimenting with new techniques is fine, but mainly I'm here to improve my photography skill not my processing skill. Whenever I get wrapped up in the newest trend in software/plug-ins/technique, I realize that it's all too easy to fall back on processing to try and disguise the fact that the basic photography skills aren't there. Everyone's got to decide for themselves, but I sure agree that getting the photography right in the first place is the way to go.

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the top photo. It is great. To me, photography and processing go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - I've come in late on this but my two cents -- I think you can have both together or separately. I like both shots. Keep trying both ways and you'll find your style. I do agree with Julie that you always want the photo the best it can be out of the camera and then you try other things.

    ReplyDelete