Friday, March 26, 2010

Addition to the Light Assignment


A time consuming project (and a followup)

So this is early morning (7am) with light but
no direct sun.  The subject for the light study was the
pot, not the flowers.  I was surprised at the difference in the
early one without distinct shadows in how soft it appears.
I don't have a tripod and the 'shakey hand' was blinking so the
flowers are not very sharp.  There was not much light according
to the camera for this time of day but very light to my eyes.

As an aside, in the full photo the larger pansy
at top left has a redish edge as you can see here
at pixentral. 
Does that relate to the light, camera movement
or is this another study coming up that will
be revealed by our leaders later?


Ok, so the idea was to take a subject in different light during the day and
here is what happened.
I'm not happy with the results and don't know if I learned anything from this
other than how much difficulty I had trying to get three photos
resized to about the same size.

Sun is rising from the right side and first shot at 9am.
Noon is in the middle and 3pm on the left.
All are SOOC (with cropping/resizing).

I can see how the shadows moved from right to left
but can't see much difference in colors.

Maybe a different subject would help or a
better fill the screen object.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...makes me want to try it and see what I come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have expected the 9:00 am and 3:00 pm shots to be more similar. Maybe there was some cloud in the afternoon shot? In the afternoon, you're getting a much more even light without the distinct shadows seen in the morning and noon shots. And the contrast is lessened in the afternoon shot, so you don't have the big range between the highlights and shadows. To me, the afternoon image is more appealing. I'm going to check back and see the other responses you get. Thanks for doing the experiment. (Don't forget to add your link to the mini-assignment on the main blog...)

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The differences are subtle but I like the 9:00 AM shot best. On my screen the colors are more saturated and I see more detail in the blooms. In the Noon shot the blooms seem more washed out. The 3:00 shot is very similar but the background fence seemes more washed out to me. The fence in the 9:00 shot is richer with more contrast. If you decide to try this exercise again you may want to try earlier and later times too, to capture the softer light you get as the sun is first rising and as it's about to set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really truly, John, and I know that you don't want to hear this, but you have to get up early in the morning to get the best light. Just before sunrise is the best light to me. In Alabama, that's about 6:45 a.m. isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this idea thoug i have not tried it yet. I think these has to be mer hours between the shot to get the visual difference show better so, get up early to get the first one ;-)

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought too - you need more of a time gap between the shots to actually see the difference. Right after sun rise and right before sunset.

    I think this is a really great start though! And it just goes to show how harsh that 12 o'clock sun can be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the above comments...The photos at 9am and 3pm are in the same type of light, except for the direction the shaddows fall. Maybe just add a 6pm shot to set and see if that shakes things up a bit!

    ReplyDelete