Wednesday, February 10, 2010

VPW #11 (Big and Small)

Big and Small can be relative (to something)
Big is about 3 inches
Small - about 1/2 inch



Almost afraid to post something this bad but I did come here to learn from you.

Sometime back the discussions were about white balance and I began to learn why some of my photos looked so sad, tungstun lighting with auto setting. The first photo with white background was an experiment with light and different settings for WB.

The second with the green was to see how a different background would influence the subject. Also added flash and look how the colors appear much brighter. Amazing what happens when light comes in at the appropriate place. And notice the difference in the white color of the pitchers in the two photos.

And I'm learning that straight items on backgrounds without trash would look better. (Sounds like a PSE exercise, but how much can one learn in a day?).
Val helped "turn on the light". Thanks

5 comments:

  1. The colors do pop much more on the green background. I think I like the color of the small pitcher more in the first image. I struggle with using my flash - it's usually too strong but sometimes it's necessary. Did you also change the WB on the 2nd image? Or just let the background influence the colors?

    Isn't it fun to have a reason to experiment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like Val in that I tend to use flash as a last resort, hence the shadows I got when photographing Sally's friends, fill flash would have made it better but I ran out of time,ah well. I would like to know what your white balance was set to for the top shot, and if you are so inclined I would reset the scene as is and turn on manual and play around with aperture and shutter speed, the greyness of the white seems to have had the same effect on the colours. Just curious, great experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice post to illustrate the differences. What kind of camera are you using? Is it a Point and Shoot or a DSLR? Was it an on-camera flash? The second shot is warmed up a bit by the flash but I think the flash also over-exposed it a bit. You've lost all the detail in the small pitcher. I shoot with a Canon 30D and have the option to "tone down" the flash by using flash compensation. It might be worth checking your manual to see if that's an option for your camera. It gives you some added light without washing out the detail as much. Another option you might look into is the Gary Fong Puffer Pop-Up Flash Diffuser. If your camera has a hot shoe slot on a DSLR and it positions a plastic diffuser in front of your pop-up flash to soften the harsh light. They run about $20. I've been using it as an option to an off-camera flash until I can save up for one of those babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your experiment, now you have me wanting to play w/ different techniques (another thing to add to my long list already)! I too prefer the green background w/ the vivid colors....you may want to try this - very simple...sometimes when I don't want the harsh effects of the flash I hold a piece of white or black paper in front of the flash...the flash still get through the paper, but the effects of the flash are toned down considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I much prefer the first photo. There is so much more detail to be seen in both the big and the small pitchers. I try to use natural light whenever possible to keep from using my flash. Keep on experimenting. A camera is like anything else, it takes a lot of playing to learn how to get the best out of it. You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete